Saturday, May 17, 2014

Family of Four

To think back on how life has changed over the past three and a half years seems like a whirlwind of events, memories, and lots of pictures. Priorities, topics of discussion, evening and weekend activities change so quickly with a child. Then there were two, and now with the third coming any day it calls for a few moments of reflection.

This past year has been a pretty eventful one, with moving out of the townhouse, into my mom's and then finally into our house. It is most apparent when looking at Charlie in all three places how fast life moves from just learning to sit when we left the townhouse, to now running around in our new backyard. In the last month or so, Dylan and Charlie have really started to play together and even depend on one another. It is what I always wanted by having children so close in age and it is so fun to watch. Of course with this new territory comes some added fighting, competitiveness, and difficulty sharing, but it is well worth it.

Dylan has really stepped up with being a big brother and also loves helping me take care of Charlie. Dylan will be the first one to help Charlie find his blanket and makes sure he behaving; i.e. "Mommy, Charlie is standing on the chair!" "Mommy, Charlie spilled his milk!" "Mommy, Charlie threw a block." Dylan certainly keeps a close eye on him. Lately, in the morning instead of coming straight into our room, he takes a right turn into Charlie's room and I'll find him sitting in Charlie's crib with him just talking and playing. I've had to tell Dylan a number of times not to try to teach Charlie how to climb out, but you can't blame him for trying.

Dylan seems very excited for the baby to come. He talks about the baby often, usually says "she and her", but when asked, he says he wants it to be a boy because girls cry too much and cost too much money. Not sure where he heard that one! I do think it will be an adjustment for him to have a little baby brother or sister that demands so much of our attention, but I know he'll adjust.

Charlie continues to be our happy little boy. Lately, though, he has been crying a bit more, but it is almost always because he wants to be held. I certainly don't mind all the cuddles from him, but it seems to be at the most inconvenient times, most often when I'm trying to make lunch or clean up the kitchen. It is turning out to be a battle of stubbornness to see who lasts longer, his crying or me being determined not to give in! Charlie is talking so much more these days, picking up phases and trying to repeat everything. This has only encouraged Dylan to have Charlie repeat everything he says or telling Charlie how to answer questions. "Mommy, I want some fruit snacks. Charlie wants some too. Right, Charlie? Say 'right,' Charlie." Without fail, Charlie will agree with Dylan.

Charlie obviously doesn't understand quite as well about the baby, but I think he is so ready to be a big brother and will be intrigued and loving to the baby. Whenever we talk about the baby, he gets the one baby we have and wants to put him in the crib, or wrap him in a blanket and hold him. I also think Charlie will have a hard time giving up some attention, but I'm pretty sure as long as I give Charlie all the cuddles he needs, he will be just fine sharing all of his love.

Being a family of four with a 3 year old and 20 month old certainly has its challenges. There are many moments when I'm terrified to add another to the group, but above all I can't wait to see how this little addition changes the family. I'm excited to see how everyone steps up and adjusts to the challenge, and of course I'm excited to hold my new baby, find out the sex of the baby, and be a family of five!

A few shots from Easter at the Staniak House.






No comments: