Friday, July 20, 2012

17 Months - My Vampire


No matter how hard you try, time just doesn't slow down. Our little guy seems to get older every day! There is one phase that we haven't been able to pass and has caused me a lot of stress and quite honestly, embarrassment. Hitting and biting! While this has been going on for a couple of months already, this month seems to have been the worst. At first we tried yelling at him and putting him in time-out, then we thought he just liked the reaction so tried ignoring it which seemed to actually help, but then he started doing it more again and it seemed to mostly be with his cousins. Obviously we couldn't ignore it anymore and went back to more time-outs and a lot of apologies from Dylan and myself to my sisters for not knowing what to do about it!

I know there will be many more "phases" and behaviors by Dylan that will challenge me as a mother, but this one has really thrown off. It is the first time as a mother that I feel helpless. Luckily my sisters have been really supportive, even when their children end up with bite marks, and I don't think they hold it against me too much. But the constant worry that I'm going to pick up Dylan after work with a story of him hurting someone, and especially bringing him places I worry he is going to bite a stranger!!

I can't wait for this phase to be over!!

In other 17 month news, he continues to be a chatter box, but I'm finding more and more that I understand a whole lot more of what he is saying than others would. He is such a smartie pants that it amazes me daily. I'm thinking that may be part of his issues these days, he is too smart for his own good. He knows what he wants, thinks he should get what he wants, and gets so mad when that does not happen. As I hear often from my mom and sisters, this is Dylan's World and we are just lucky to be a part of it. It is a good thing the majority of the time he is just such a joy, so much fun, and melts our hearts with his hugs and kisses.

This summer has continued to be so much fun and I'm still loving every minute of it! I'm definitely slowing down and have some days that are not as enjoyable as others with this pregnancy, but we are getting down to the wire here, so just got to enjoy it while I can. :)

1 comment:

Connellys said...

Just saw this...you should NOT be embarrassed of him biting and hitting! It's kinda funny and we know it's just Dylan showing his independence. As long as he stops by the time he's 3, you're good! ;)