Tuesday, February 28, 2012

One Year Stats

So for all who have been paying attention, Dylan has been having diarrhea for about a month now. We'll never know if it would have stopped earlier had it not been for being on antibiotics for the ear infection or getting the stomach flu right after our trip, but the fact is that it has not! We waited it out until his doctor's appointment for his 1 year check up which was today. The doctor actually gave me some things to try starting with cutting out dairy completely, meaning changing to soy formula. He also said I could be feeding him anything he'll eat (besides dairy) since I told him I had mostly be sticking with the BRAT diet. So when I got home I tried for a more substantial lunch and he ate a little better! (Perhaps I stuck with the BRAT diet for too long). Before he even had his first soy formula bottle he had a little bit more of a solid poop...so going in the right direction! We'll stick with the soy for a week or so and then hopefully work in milk so we can get rid of bottles!!

At the doctor, Dylan got 3 shots followed by a good cry, doctor said his top left gums look a little swollen, possibly working on molars, was impressed that he is taking some steps (thought this was pretty standard/average) and saying some words. Dylan dropped down percentage-wise in weight (30th to 18th), but the doctor was not concerned due to his recent illnesses and this is somewhat typical for this age.

My one year old:
  • Stats: 20lb 8oz (84th %tile), 31 inches (18th %tile)



  • With the illnesses, the vacation, and me back at work three days a week, Dylan has been waking up a little earlier. He goes to sleep around 7:30 and wakes up between 6:30 and 7:30. The bigger difference since all of this going on is that he isn't waking up very happily anymore. For a while he had been getting up and playing with his dog and glow worm until we got him, now he gets up and whines until we get him. Hopefully this will change back soon.
  • Still two naps, usually 1 1/2 each. Luckily he has been better (keeping my fingers crossed) about going down for them, though it can sometimes still take a little while.
  • A week before our vacation I tried giving Dylan milk, but he wouldn't drink it at all. Then with the diarrhea and because we were going on vacation, we stuck with the bottles for a while. Now with the soy formula it will be another week or two before we try the milk again. So for now, its still 3 6-8oz bottles.
  • Like I've said, still a super picky eater. It would seem the only vegetable he will eat right now is peas. He has again started to like bananas, peaches (fruit cup), and loves applesauce. He likes strawberry poptarts (had to get him to eat something!), cereal bars, toast with jelly, pretzels, crackers, graham crackers, cheerios, and his very favorite food is yogurt, which unfortunately he can't have right now. I've been having such a hard time figuring how what he'll eat. I find it very frustrating when I make something for him and he won't even take a bite!
  • Has become somewhat of a pro on the stairs. We have now started to trust him to do them on his own every once in a while. It still makes me nervous, but he hasn't fallen or missed a step in a couple months now (knock on wood). I almost want to take the gate down so he doesn't feel like they are "off limits" and will maybe forget about them. I think I'll wait until he is walking...
  • Walking...some days he'll be so brave and start walking across the room without anything else to grab onto, and some days he's too scared to take two steps towards me with my arms out. Though even when he is being brave I don't think he's made it more than five steps. He does fall rather gracefully though, more just lowers himself to the ground. I'm in no hurry really, its fun to watch him learn.
  • Talking! This has been so exciting. He is definitely building his vocabulary, though this is also hit or miss depending on the day. The words I feel confident in saying he has said are: uh oh, bottle, hi, mama, dada, diaper, done, all done, up, and bye bye. He'll say hi when he puts my phone up to his ear. Says done or all done if I ask him if he is done eating and then will try to take the tray off of his chair, and bye bye more sounds like "ta ta", but he says it just about every time while waving bye. He is also working on his animal sounds. He tries to say moo, but it sounds more like an elephant than a cow, says baa for a sheep, and makes some sort of sound for a lion. Now, I'm not saying that he is talking up a storm or anything. He still basically only repeats things we say to him or ask him to say, but its pretty exciting when he actually does it!
  • We have really been trying to much his teeth more and he enjoys doing this himself as well. We are also really trying to make a better bedtime routine with reading him a few books and he seems much more interested these days.
  • I know it won't last so I'm trying to appreciate it while I can say it; Dylan has been a pretty good listener. He doesn't go into the kitchen cabinets much, but if he does when we ask him to close it he does right away (and then usually opens it up again thinking it is a game). And in general he is pretty good about stopping something if we tell him no. And the best is when I ask him to give me a kiss, he usually does! :)
  • Still only six teeth. I'm a little anxious for more to come so he can chew a little better. I'm hoping that is why he won't eat meat, because it doesn't seem like he can chew it enough. Same with all other foods that he won't these days!! Hears to hoping.
  • Size 4 diapers, but I've really been thinking that they are too big! He'll grow into them.
  • And last, but not least, he has definitely turned into a mama's boy at the moment and is having separation anxiety to the max! I'm really hoping that this is just because he wasn't feeling well and NOT a phase.
We love our peanut and are excited for his big birthday this coming Sunday :)

No comments: