Friday, February 18, 2011

Dylan Edward Thommes

And then there were three...
Dylan Edward Thommes
Born February 15, 2011, 2:27PM
7 lb 3 oz, 19.5 inches

If you all read the last post, the false alarm that we had in the morning started going off again at about 9pm. I figured the same thing as the two nights prior was going on and tried to just go to sleep. As I laid there, the contractions continued, got closer together, and stronger. I tried getting out of bed and started walking around, drinking a lot of water and seeing if they would go away. At about 12:30, they were five minutes apart and painful. I woke Dave up and told him that I was going to call the doctor and we may be making another trip to the hospital.
We arrived at the hospital at 1:00AM and they set me up on a monitor and I was still only 1cm dilated. They weren't sure if they were going to truly admit me until I was making progress. At this point the pain was so bad that I was already asking for an epidural. They told me that it was too early and we needed to wait until I was in more "active" labor (it felt pretty active to me). I whined, cried a little, and told Dave that I wanted to go home because I couldn't do this. Dave was very supportive and was there for me every step of the way, unfortunately he couldn't do much for me at this point.
At around 4:00AM, after Dave and I tried walking up and down the hallway (having to stop every five minutes and hold onto Dave or the wall), I asked the nurse if I could PLEASE have the epidural. She said she would check to see if I made any progress. And I had! I was now at 2cm! She said that they could fully admit me now and could have the epidural...though it would take 2 hours! AHH. At this point, I was so happy, but could not wait that long for some relief. The nurse gave me a medication through an IV and finally I got some relief! I got about an hour nap and then things started to move a little more quickly.
Things started to become a blur at this point. At about 7:30am, the doctor came in and in a matter of minutes she had checked me (4cm), broke my water, and put an internal monitor in for the contractions and for the baby. This brought those lovely contractions back and I was quickly asking for the epidural again. When the epidural finally came, I felt nearly immediate relief! Oh it was great. I did have discomfort with the catheter, asking the nurse to take it out, but when the baby started moving down, the feeling of the pressure overtook the discomfort of the catheter.
Not much else went on until about 1:30PM when the nurse checked me (because I said I was feeling a lot of pressure) and I was just about 10cm dilated. This scared me a little and a few tears were shed, I was glad I had the support of Dave and family to cheer me on and let me know that it would all be over soon. The nurse said that in about 30 minutes we would start pushing.
While she got the room ready, I wasn't so sure I could wait those 30 minutes. I started feeling like with each contraction I was trying to hold the baby in, what a strange feeling! At 2:00PM it was time to go! With just myself, Dave, and the nurse, I tried some pushes...not easy work! After a couple pushes, the nurse called the doctor in, after about three more he had arrived, and two more after that we had our beautiful baby boy! What a surprise!
When it was just the two of us.
Look at those contractions! Off the charts!


I have a son!

And a little boy! Who would have thought!
Daddy and son
My precious baby

Getting ready to go home

Such a cute going home outfit! Thanks, Auntie Jenny!

So tiny in his carseat

And home we went. What a great feeling it was to walk in our door and just be able to figure some things out on our own.
Home sweet home with our sweet baby boy!
Thank you to all of our family for being so supportive and loving our little boy already. It was so great to have people there for us.




8 comments:

Jenny said...

So happy for a post. I love dylan!

You did sooooo great. So happy for you guys!!

Unknown said...

Congrats Dave and Carissa! He is just perfect and you were a champ Carissa! Welcome to parenthood!

Anonymous said...

a perfect Thommes peanut!

The Daughetee's said...

Way to go Carissa and Dave!He is ADORABLE! We cannot wait to meet him!

Jen said...

I just want to make a correction and say that it was me, Jen, who made the "John" comment.

People (Jonathan) need to stay off my computer...

Connellys said...

Awww, what great pictures and a great story to always remember! I'm glad I made it there just in time to hear the great news as soon as he came out! Love it and love him!

The Matta's said...

We are so happy for you guys!!! I've been keeping a close eye on your site and your sibling's sites for any updates on you/your babe. So excited when the text came from Jenny that you 2 had a baby boy! I enjoyed reading the birth story and following your journey to parenthood! Now the real fun starts, now that you have your baby in your arms! Congrats!

Kristen & Brad Hoffman said...

yay! I was waiting for this post! He is adorable guys! One little Foley boy down, two more to go! I can't believe all the Boys.